Our Board of Directors
Philip Smith – Executive Director
- Former Director of Planning and Development, City of Spencer
- Former West Virginia Council Chair and Distinguished Service Award recipient for Trout Unlimited
- Leader on Birthplace of Rivers National Monument Campaign; Conservation Specialist for WV Rivers Coalition
- Fifteen year employee of West Virginia Department of Agriculture
- West Virginia native, cider apple orchardist, and trails advocate
As a seventh generation West Virginian who cherishes the connection between our Appalachian heritage and our natural environment, I believe that idyllic, public spaces like the WVBG are central to our region’s story. The partnership between the public and nature is so impressive here, enhanced by the well-executed gardens and preserved natural areas. I’m grateful to work with an exceptional staff and army of volunteers that are all motivated by a shared connection to this landscape.
Shawn Grushecky – President
- Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator, Energy Land Management, WVU
- Actively volunteers with many service projects at WVU
- Current Adviser for WVU ELM Student Association
- Founding member and volunteer for the Mountaineer Chapter of the Quality Deer Management Association
- Resident of Morgantown since 2011
Rod Brundage – Vice President
- Currently employed by West Virginia University, Safety & Health Extension
- Monongalia County Certified Master Gardener, 5+ Years
- President Vantage Pointe Homeowners Association
- Resident of Monongalia County for over 15 Years
Jodie Jackson – Secretary
- Spent 25 years working on WV rural health issues in the Office of Community and Rural Health at WVU.
- Spent 6 years on the board of the Morgantown Theatre Company, a children’s theatre group.
- Came to WV 27+ years ago after living in TN, AK, NC, and DC.
Jan Mitchell – Treasurer
- Work with the Board of Education in both Harrison and Preston Counties
- Worked as a Pharmacist at Monongalia General Hospital for 31 years
- Active in the Service League of Morgantown since 1990, currently Treasurer
- Active with the Mon County Master Gardeners since 2000, currently serving as President
- Active with Valley Hills Garden Club 2014-Present, currently Vice President
- West Virginia Garden Club, Landscape Design School Chairman 2016-Present
- Also an active member of the Suncrest United Methodist Church Staff Parrish and Prayer Quilt Ministry
- Writer & photographer; former journalist
- Author, The Climb from Salt Lick: A Memoir of Appalachia, published by West Virginia University Press
- Monongalia County Special Olympics, Executive committee
- WVU Campus Club, Former president,
- Co-owner and board member of
communallyowned farm in Preston County, WV Residentof Morgantown for more than 20 years
I love the botanic garden because it offers different opportunities to different audiences. It is an educational experience for children and adults. It is a beautiful respite from our harried lives. Visitors can explore the intersection of the natural world and cultivated gardens. It is a glorious addition to the Morgantown community.
Currently an Independent Sales Representative in the Outdoor Recreation Industry
Active with the Morgantown Tree Board
From Wilmington, Del, resident of West Virginia for 28 years
Worked in the Landscape Industry for 10 years.
WVU Forestry graduate, ISA Certified Arborist
- Retired Professional Landscape Architect
- Active Member of the Morgantown Newcomers Club
- Active Member of Wesley United Methodist Church
- Resident of Morgantown since 1992
- Vice President and COO of Biafore Landscape Development
- Certified Professional Horticulturalist with a specialization in herbaceous plants
- West Virginia Nursery and Landscape Association, Board Member
- West Virginia native
- Realtor – Old Colony Realtors
- Director of the West Virginia Association of Realtors
- Master Gardener
- WVBG Board member since 2011
- Friends of the Art Museum Committee Member
- WVU College of Creative Arts Visiting Board Member
- Native of Morgantown
- Assistant Dean of Student & Alumni Services at the WVU School of Nursing
- Native West Virginian and Monongalia Co. resident for 26 years
- U.S. Army veteran
The West Virginia Botanic Garden is a wonderful place to introduce kids to the outdoors. It is a classroom where they can actively participate in the beauty of nature. An absolute WV treasure!
- Retired Attorney, Steptoe and Johnson, PLLC
- WVU Law School Adjunct Faculty Member
- Board Member, Pricketts Fort Memorial Foundation, Northern WV Pilots’ Association
- Resident of Morgantown in 1960’s and for the past 27 years
- Retired from WVU Cancer Center Cancer Information Services in 2002
- Member of OLLI at WVU (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute)
- Member of Morgantown Service League
- Participant in WVU Campus Club interest groups
- Have lived in Morgantown since 1984
- Executive Director for the Convention & Visitors Bureau of Marion County
Education Chair for the West Virginia Association of CVBs
Southeast Tourism Society Board of Directors
Lifetime resident of Marion County.
- Retired Physician Assistant, Wedgewood Family Practice and Psychiatry Associates, Inc.
- Health Right Volunteer for five years
- Member of the Valley Hills Garden Club
- Member of the Women’s Giving Circle of North Central WV
- Member of Steel Away steel drum band of CB Studios.
- Satchel of Caring volunteer
- Former ski patroller and Wounded Warrior Project volunteer in Snowshoe, WV
- Native of West Virginia, Monongalia County resident since 1983.
- Director, West Virginia University Core Arboretum
- Clinical Assistant Professor, West Virginia University Department of Biology
- Board Member, Friends of the Cheat
- Past Board Member, Brooks Bird Club
- Lifelong resident of West Virginia, lived in Morgantown since 2005
- General Manager and former Marketing Director at Morgantown Mall
- WVU Graduate, Economics with a minor in English
- Greater Morgantown Area CVB, Secretary and Board Member
- Morgantown Rotary Club, Past President and Current Foundation Chair
- Sigma Chi Fraternity Chapter Advisor
- Morgantown Bike Board, Board Member,
- West Virginia native, born and raised in St. Albans
The West Virginia Botanic Garden is a hidden gem in north central West Virginia. Not only is it a beautiful natural place to visit but it hosts a wide variety of events and activities for all age groups in our community. I volunteered to serve as I want to help continue the amazing outreach this organization, the facilities and all its volunteers have had on the greater Morgantown area.
Retired from EQT Corporation in 2017
Petroleum/Natural Gas Engineer
Member and past chapter advisor of Chi Omega Sorority on WVU campus
Member of the Motown Strutters, a senior tap dancing troupe, affiliated with Morgantown Dance and the Morgantown Senior Center
Lifelong resident of Monongalia County
The WVBG is a place I frequent. It provides a personal place of solitude for reflection….a place where we brought my wheelchair bound mother-in-law to listen to birds …a place where we can take visiting family and friends for an after dinner walk… a place where I walk our dogs…a place where we are able to teach our young grandchildren about nature …a place where there are opportunities to commune with nature close to home……a place where I can appreciate all the beauty of nature.
Worked as a Physical Therapist primarily in Home Health for over 35 years, currently retired
Holds degrees in Chemistry and Physical Therapy
- Active in Newcomers Club
Enjoys travel, gardening and family time
Resident of Morgantown since 1978
I love working with the WVBG on the efforts to continually grow and improve the Garden. I especially enjoy working to plan fund-raising events. I am looking forward to being part of the ongoing plans for improvement.
- Department Director and Professor of Environmental Sciences, Waynesburg University, Pennsylvania
- Resident of Morgantown since 1996
- Retired wildlife biologist, and outdoor writer
- Board member, Rotary Club of Cheat Lake
- Resident of Cheat Lake since 1965
- 10-year elected member of Morgantown City Council
- Former Mayor of Morgantown
- Worked for five years as the Community Design Team Coordination at WVU
- Started an Outdoor Wildlife Learning Site at Suncrest Primary School with WVBG Board Member Linda Bagby and 2 other moms.
- Registered Nurse/Health Educator
- Retired from the Monongalia County Board of Education and Board of Health; WVU School of Community Medicine and School of Nursing – Adjunct Facility
- Member of the Service League of Morgantown
- Resident of Morgantown since 1970
Frank Scafella, Jr.
- Retired – Morgantown City Council member, former Mayor
- Retired Professor of Landscape Architecture, WVU
- Retired Executive Director of the West Virginia Botanic Garden
Cheryl Carnegie – Administrative Assistant
Stacy Clovis-Woofter – Educator
Phil Cole – Assistant Site Manager
Dave Davis – Groundskeeper
Kay Jones – Volunteer Coordinator
Erin Smaldone – Education Director