The West Virginia Botanic Garden (WVBG) is growing. Already one of the premier outdoor wedding and event venues in the region we are now constructing the new ~6,000 square foot Hazel Ruby McQuain Event Center, outdoor Wedding Garden, and additional parking. This beautiful new venue overlooking the state’s official flagship garden will be a unique setting and in-demand.
We are now hiring a part-time Event Sales Manager. The main role of the Event Sales Manager is to coordinate and manage private event rentals at the WVBG. This includes but is not limited to weddings, conferences, business meetings, and dinners. Since the new venue is now under construction, the Event Sales Manager will also have the exciting responsibility of assisting with interior design, function, and policy related to this new facility. Additional programming/special projects may be developed and implemented if time and funding permit.
Weekly hour requirements vary, but the position will begin immediately at approximately 20 hours per week and likely expanding to full-time status as the new venue grows. For a more detailed list of responsibilities, hourly compensation rate, and to apply please contact Philip Smith, WVBG Executive Director, at email@example.com. Include your cover letter, resume or CV, and at least three references as your application.
- Working with the WVBG staff and board committees to develop rental rates and promotional materials related to event venues at the Garden
- Tabling at wedding expos in the region
- Grant writing for needs associated with rental facilities in coordination with the WVBG Grants Committee
- Maintaining awareness of industry trends and leading the WVBG as the state’s flagship garden in becoming a top wedding venue in West Virginia, maximizing rental revenue to support other areas of the Garden’s mission
- Networking with event sales peers at other APGA gardens
- Responding to rental inquiries in a timely, effective and proactive manner
- Scheduling and providing venue tours; following up with interested renters to close bookings
- Scheduling rentals in close coordination with WVBG staff to ensure no conflicts arise with other Garden events and programming
- Renter and vendor contract and document administration; maintaining orderly filing of past and upcoming contracts
- Maintaining communication with contracted renters prior to event day to discuss needs such as, but not limited to, layout of furniture and parking
- Creating any custom content for renters including slideshows, playlists in the exhibit areas and other audio-visual needs
- Working with the Site Manager, Gardener, and other staff to ensure grounds are in good condition on event days
- Working with the Site Manager and Executive Assistant to ensure facilities are stocked with necessary supplies
- Scheduling and managing rental staff and/or contracted cleaning personnel; or working with Volunteer Coordinator for volunteer cleaning/event management assistance
- Coordinating weekend logistics and communicating with all WVBG weekend staff (including education and future Visitors Center staff) during open weekend hours
- Supervise and assist rental staff during set‐up/clean‐up as needed (please note all renters are responsible for leaving the facility in the same condition as they found upon arrival)
- Maintaining relationships with vendors (e.g., caterers, florists) and coordinating as needed
- Working in conjunction with the Executive Director and Executive Assistant to promote the rental program
- Ensure all contractual agreements are met by rental parties and that WVBG policies and procedures are followed
- Ensure cleanliness and neatness of rental facilities including kitchen and storage areas. This may include the Event Sales Manager to perform some cleaning and maintenance, watering plants, and inspecting indoor and outdoor facilities to determine needs as if it were your own home
- Maintain up to date first aid/CPR/AED training
The candidate must be willing and available to work weekends and some evening hours. Almost all rentals happen during these hours and immediate assistance is needed to manage facilities during this time.
The ideal candidate will be responsible, detail‐oriented, proactive and have the ability to represent the WVBG in a friendly and enthusiastic manner; and to work as a team with other staff.
- A self-starter who works well without close supervision
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Highly organized
- Flexibility and ability to problem solve
- Ability to multitask under pressure with attention to detail
- Friendly and outgoing
- A sense of humor
- Experience in event and/or wedding planning and coordination preferred
- Experience with contract administration preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Experience operating and troubleshooting basic audio/visual equipment
- Interest in environmental education and plants preferred
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. (tables, chairs, crates of linens, etc.)
Are you interested in applying for this position?
Please contact Philip Smith, WVBG Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your cover letter, resume or CV, and at least three references as your application.