Under the direction of the Executive Director and Executive Assistant, this position is responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping and accounting duties. These duties may include, but are not limited to, data entry in QuickBooks and Flipcause (membership/donor software), completing end-of-month accounting, preparing appropriate reports for the organization’s finance committee and board of directors, and working with our accounting firm to provide the necessary financial data for audits.
The desired individual will have proficient experience with QuickBooks Online, an outgoing and friendly personality, demonstrate professionalism and tact in communications with a diversity of individuals, have strong organizational and time management skills, pay acute attention to detail, and have the ability to work well with the WVBG’s staff, volunteers, and directors. This position is based at West Virginia Botanic Garden 1061 Tyrone Rd, Morgantown, West Virginia.
Expected hours for 2024 are 15-20 hours per week; specific office hours TBD. Expectation that position could increase hours as WVBG grows, possibly to full time in the future.
- Issues checks for bills and employee reimbursements in an accurate and timely manner; ensures that all expenditures are appropriately categorized. Audits cash receipts, collects membership dues, donations, and other payments, and makes regular deposits to appropriate accounts; ensures that all deposits are appropriately categorized and processes/files monthly sales tax returns.
- Works closely with the Executive Assistant and Board Treasurer to ensure accounting accuracy on a variety of focused/restricted accounts.
- Reconciles bank accounts and provides reports to Executive Director and Treasurer monthly; keeps clear records of all activity and alerts the Executive Director of any discrepancies or essential actions in a timely manner. Reconciles credit card statements. Proactively maintains highly organized filing system: files invoices, payroll paperwork, reimbursements, and other financial records.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Assists in the development and implementation of systems and procedures as needed.
- Assists with special projects or does research as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director/Executive Assistant/board Treasurer.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in QuickBooks is a must.
- Non-profit/restricted account experience a plus.
- Additional proficiency in Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office, Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Good judgment, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Understanding of and commitment to the WVBG mission.
Education and Experience:
- Associate degree (AA/AS) or equivalent; three to five years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust.