The main role of the Volunteer Coordinator is to recruit, develop, and coordinate volunteers at the West Virginia Botanic Garden. Volunteer work includes but is not limited to volunteer internships, garden greeters, maintenance help, program assistance and work study students. The Volunteer Coordinator is also responsible for some special events coordination including the Fall Children’s Festival, Family Fun Run, Volunteer Appreciation Event, and other events. Additional programming/special projects may be developed and implemented if funding (including salary) is secured to do so.
- Working with diverse audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
- Coordinating with faculty and staff at WVU, businesses, and other local organizations to recruit for internships, work study, and volunteers.
- Improving upon the WVBG Volunteer Training and Recruitment Program.
- Working closely with the Executive Director to coordinate, develop, and implement internship programs that further the mission of WVBG.
- Coordinating necessary volunteer assistance at special events, fundraising dinners, parking assistants, weekend/weekday garden greeters, and other guest services.
- Tracking and recording all volunteer activities.
- Implementing strategies for volunteer retention and appreciation.
- Sending regular correspondence to volunteer team(s) using multiple platforms of communication.
- Working as a member of the WVBG team, which may mean helping staff or volunteers with additional tasks as needed.